Sunday, August 3, 2008

Added gems



OK added gems for pieces. The gem pieces are straight from the gem package on unity web pages.  For the gem rings I made the mesh with cheeta3D subtracting one truncated octohedrons from another. I tried using truncated icohedrons but the colors of the gem did not show. I don't like the gem rings so much, I may try changing the mesh. Which since I saved the cheeta file directly to the unity project folder will be pretty easy.  Nice work flow design from Unity there. I also added a destorying box, the little flame thing on the edge of the board.  That should be upgraded to a real flame if I can figure out how.

Adding gems was more work than I expected because I used Materials to match between pieces and the tile that create them. That meant I had to add a set functions to map the tile materials to the piece materials. I tried using gem materials for the tiles but some colours did not work.

Doing all my coding in Boo. I got lazy and did not declare a local variable called name and the spent an hour tracking down the fact that I was not using a local variable called name but changing the name of a gameObject attached to the script.

Also spent fair amount of time fiddling with colours and sizes. I am using EditorWindows a lot to build my scenes. The image above is of the tile editing window. It lets me change colors and deactivate arcs and pies on the disc.  It knows what colors are being used in the scene and shows only those. 

I forgot to put any moving obsticale pieces in this level (also done with an editor window). Next time I do an update I'll make a kittle more playable level.

No comments: